Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Devastating Day for Doha



I'm still trying to digest the news about the fire in Villagio shopping mall in Doha. I think part of me is still in shock... When I heard the news yesterday I took a deep breath called my mom and made sure my sister, my niece and my brother in law are all OK. They were and I forced myself not to think about it.

Of the 19 people who died in the fire 13 were children. Trapped inside a nursery it seems that neither the children nor their teachers could get out and no one could get in to help them! When the firefighters eventually got in through the roof it was too late...

All I wanted to know was that this wasn't the nursery my niece goes to.. It wasn't. Relieved but still shocked.

It was only when I saw the entrance to the charred nursery and spoke to my sister this morning that I  broke down. She told me about an acquaintance of hers whose daughter was in the nursery.

More details about the story here.

I've lived and worked in Doha for ten years and my fear for my family and friends was indescribable! Doha's is a very small community and a fire like that will affect a vast number of lives!

Doha holds a very special place in my heart, so many fond memories of happy days there. One of the things I loved about Doha is how quite and peaceful it is. Yesterday was a painful contradiction.

I pray for the families who have lost loved ones and hope for justice and a proper investigation.

Photos of devastation all from WGO-Qatar










No comments: